Tuesday, March 22, 2011

E-book Readers

I had the opportunity to try out an e-book reader a month or so ago. After a few attempts to find an e-book on NetLibrary, I did manage to find a mystery book - the genre I was looking for - check it out and download it to my computer. The Adobe Digital Editions software worked fine for transferring it from there to the Kobo I was using. The text was clear but the font was a little small, so I enlarged it but then found I had to scroll to the end of each line to read it at that size. That was not going to work! So I read it in the smaller font. It was manageable but not as easy to read as I would have liked.

The e-books that had been preloaded on the Kobo did not have this problem - you could enlarge the font and the words still all fit on the reading area. Hopefully NetLibrary will do something to solve this - or perhaps a different brand of e-reader would not have this problem.

I am not a convert to the e-book format yet but I can see that they have their uses, especially for travelling. Instead of having my book bag with 3 or 4 books I could just slip an e-reader into my purse - very handy.