Sunday, February 20, 2011

Nothing to read?

What are you going to do? You've run out of things to read. Here on this blog are a few suggestions - bestseller lists, review blogs, my current faves.

I always have a stack ready and waiting - I get kind of nervous if I don't have at least two in reserve as sometimes I have two (or three) on the go at one time, depending what I'm feeling like reading. I'm halfway through the fourth book in George R R Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series right now. With this series I need another book to "spell off" with because there are so many characters and plots sometimes I switch to non-fiction or a book with a simple story line. I've started The Judgment of Paris to give me a break - Ross King's book about the rise of impressionism doesn't have any murders or court intrigues.

A very useful tool for finding something to read is the newly-revamped NoveList database on the Parkland Regional Library website. Popular titles are featured on the home page. You can search for your favourite authors and using the "read-alike" feature, you can find other authors who write in a similar vein. Or you can search by genre - fantasy, mystery, romance etc. - or by subject. It is linked to the PRL catalogue so if you find a title you want, just click on the Library Catalogue link and you will find out if a copy is available for you to borrow.

TO ACCESS NoveList: From the Forestburg Library website, click on the Catalogue link and then click on the Databases tab. NoveList is listed on the left sidebar. To sign in you need your borrower card number (the full number, not the short version) and your PIN number (last 4 digits of your phone number).